So after researching and procrastinated for years, I bought some mushrooms spores and 2 growpots from Cylocybe.com
The company is 100% legit and the customer service is excellent.
The only thing I would say, is they could really do with some images, or a video on their guides pages.
The guides are pretty long and a bit confusing. Images with annotations, or ideally a video would help a lot.
I’ve only just inoculated my grow-pot from cylocybe.com so I can’t say how well its turned out. Wish me luck anyway, I’ll update this post as soon as I have an update!
- 11 days later – no sign of the myecelium – think I may have killed it putting it in the window. Getting conflicting advice as to whether it should be in a dark cupboard, or in indirect sunlight.
- 20 days later – some myecelium is growing! Not sure what to do next, best find out
4 weeks later and the pot is nearly ready for the next stage…
A Guide to Growing Mushrooms from Spores
Grow-pot kit from cylocybe.com which contains
- Grow pot with black injection ports
- Gloves, facemask, alcohol wipes
1. Find a clean area to inject the spores – not the bathroom or kitchen due to mould growth
2. Clean your hands, face etc and if you have them, put on rubber gloves and a face mask
3. Attach the ‘pin’ (sharp bit) to the syringe
4. Push air out of syringe, then insert the pin of syringe into the spores vial/bottle, and pull the back-end to suck out the spores
5. Rub the port with the alcohol wipe and inject half of the spores into the pot’s substrate
6. clean the other black, injection port and injection the second half of the spores
There’s some confusion over where to place the pot at this point.
I placed my in the window for 3 days and then in a cupboard for 10 days, and it appears to have grown fine.
It will take 3-5 weeks for the grow-pot to be consumed by the mycelium
Stage 2 – Fruiting the Mycelium to Mushrooms
2.1 – dunk & roll the mycelium
- Container to fill with water
- Vermiculite (the brown / Yellow-ish package – see image below)
- Large bowl
- Clean an area near your sink
- Fill a container with water (to put the pot(s) in)
- Take off the grow-pot lid and tap it’s bottom until it comes out, into the container
- Keep them submerged for 24 hours and covered e.g. with the lid if it’s tupperware
- Take the vermiculite and bowl – enter the vermiculite into the bowl
- Take the cakes (growpot contents) out of the container and rinse under water
- cover the entire cake, with a coating of vermiculite
2.2 – Fruiting in the Bag
Grow the little blighters in the bag:
- Plastic bag with air filter stripe (shown above)
- Misting bottle with water
Step 1 – Rinse the perlite with cold water, you’ll probably need a sieve.
Shake off any excess water but make sure it is still damp
Step 2 – add the perlite to the bottom of the bag
Step 3 – add foil on top of the perlite
Step 4 – Add the mushroom-mycelium-cake on top of the foil. Do NOT touch the perlite
Step 5 – Fold over the top of the bag.
Step 6 – leave for 12 hours before misting the mushroom-cake. Mist 3 to 6 times a day after the first 12 hours