How to throw Knees in Thai Boxing & MMA
Knees are very powerful and were made famous in MMA by the ‘Axe Murderer’ Vanderlai Silva.
- The most powerful knee will be from your rear leg
- For more power slam your heel down with your lead leg & pivot up onto your toes on that foot
- Drive off from your back foot to initiate the actual knee
- Lean back and drive your knee forwards &/or upwards depending on the target
Knees are much more powerful when delivered from a Thai Clinch, as you pull the opponent’s head down into each knee or pull him into a knee to the stomach.
A lot of the power will come from the ‘counter movement’. If your knee is very close, it is difficult to develop power, but if you step back first or lift your leg up, you can develop much more momentum
- Step back to create room for the knee to develop power
- Drive the knee forwards once it hits the target