These are my favourite simple takedowns.
- Start with your left foot forward and your right hand in a wrestling clinch/tie up on your opponent/partner. Snap his head down slightly.
- Step Forwards with your right foot and switch your grip so that the left hand now has the clinch
- You can now grab the waist or leg of your opponent OR
- You can go for a headlock when the opponent sprawls back to stop you capturing the leg
The technique begins instantly at the start of this video – you really need to view at 0.25 speed to see the ‘grip-switch’
- Hook or sweep (lightly) your opponents lead leg
- He will normally step back to avoid the trip
- Ankle pick his other foot/ankle which will now be in front
- Wrestling Clinch
- Push into partner
- Snap his head down into a headlock