If you want to get fit for MMA – then you must “do” MMA*
Whilst sparring is necessary for fighters to get accumstomed with the intensity of a fight and the rush of adrenaline, hitting a punch bag is one of the best ways to build MMA specific cardiovascular fitness.
There are a few ways in which you can approach MMA punch bag workouts
- Do the same combinations for 10 reps
- Listen to audio that shouts out combinations
- “Shadow Box” the bag, using various techniques and combinations
MMA Punching Bag Workout 1
This workout involves do the same combination 10 times – without any rest in between.
After you’ve completed 10 reps, then rest for a minute before moving onto the next combination
You can do the first 3 or 4 combinations nice and light and then hit harder as you work up to the 10th rep.
- Jab, Cross, Hook – Sprawl – Front Kick
- Jab, Cross, Hook, roundhouse x 10
- Jab, Cross, Hook – Sprawl – Double Leg Shoot x 10
- Cross, hook, right low kick x 10
Other combinations that work great on the bag include:
- Cross, Hook, Cross – Sprawl – roundhouse
- Jab – roundhouse – cross, hook, cross
- Jab, cross, hook, cross – front kick – clinch and knees
Example MMA bag workout
|Jab, cross, hook, cross||10|
|Jab, cross, hook, sprawl, double leg||10|
|Jab, cross, hook, sprawl, front kick||10|
|Jab, cross, hook, cross, front kick||15|
MMA Punchbag Workout 2 – Listening to MMA Combinations Called Out
Get the Bas Rutten MMA Workouts on Youtube – and follow along on the punch bag
When he shouts “one” – it means jab, “Two” means cross, “Three” means hook.
For a full explanation of the Bas Rutten combinations – see my article here.
Or watch the video below:
MMA Punch Bag Workout 3 “Shadow Boxing” on the Punch Bag
Once you’re accustomed to the combinations, you can freestyle your workouts. Just get an app or a timer for 3 or 4 minute rounds with a rest interval.
*SAID Principle – Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands
How To Punch in Boxing
For technical information on how to punch, check out our guides below:
If you are wondering how to throw a kick in Muay Thai or MMA – see our guide below: